• Very lean ground beef - about 90-92% lean, incredible flavour and smell
• Cuts are trimmed on the lean side, with all the flavour in the inside with the marbling giving our beef delicious flavour, texture, & tenderness
• All cuts are dry aged a minimum of 21 days, allowing this aging process the enzymes to break down the proteins & enhances the taste, tenderness & eating quality even further
• Most steaks are packaged in twos - tbones, prime rib, ribeye, striploin, & tenderloin. The others - sirloin & round are packaged singular
• Roasts are around the 3-4lb
• Stewing beef are in about 1lb packages
• Short ribs come in about 2-3lb packages
• Brisket available too, each cut in half
• A sampler pack available - JZ Rancher's Pack - assortment of all of our cuts, in one convenient package (with different packages rolling out in 2021)
• Custom packs - tells us what you would like for your own variety and we will package it up. Probably 90% of our product goes out as such, as long as availability allows it
• 1/4,1/2, whole shares available a few times throughout the year
• Expect a premium ranch raised product.
• Garlic Sausage & Farmers Sausage
• Mild Pepperettes & Jalapeno Cheese Pepperettes
Available in vacuum packed packages. The garlic sausage and farmers sausage are available in approximately 1lb pkgs. The mild and jalapeno cheese peps come in 6 sticks/pkg.
They are all an 80% beef, 20% pork product, with spices to make very flavorful sausages & peps. Adding the pork ensures that the sausage does not become dry in the smoking process. New Bothwell cheese generously incorporated into the jalapeno cheddar peps.
The percentage of nitrates is very low, thus a fresh product & a lends to a healthy choice for meal an snacks.
As always, each package is weighed individually to ensure you are receiving exactly what you paying for.
We do offer curb side delivery/meet ups throughout the Interlake. We arrange it all when we have a fair enough amount of orders together from one area to warrant a delivery day. We are very flexible and work with our customers to ensure prompt delivery.
As well, we have delivery days in Arborg & Riverton weekly. Wednesday late afternoon in Arborg. Thursday mornings in Arborg and Riverton. We will determine location for a certain time frame & customers can meet us there to pick up their orders or we will do curbside drop off.
We will be offering a monthly delivery day in a determined pick up location in Winnipeg for a certain time frame, starting in soon. A delivery fee of $5 for orders less than $100 will apply - Details TBA.
And we do curb side pickup direct from our ranch as well. We are very accommodating to determine pick up times for those wanting to drive out to pick up their orders.
When it comes to beef weights, there are three different ones of which customers should be aware of.
The first is “Live” weight. This is what the animal weighed on the hoof, or when it was alive.
The next is “Hanging” (carcass, or dressed) weight. This is the weight that the butcher gives us after slaughter and before the 21 day hang. The weight difference from the live to the hanging is the loss of the blood, head, hooves, hide, lungs, heart & viscera. The hanging weight is usually about 62% of the live weight.
For example, if you are buying shares of a beef from Bar Z Beef – whole, half, or quarter, this is how we determine pricing. If a 1300lb animal (live weight) would have a hanging weight of 806lbs. This is the weight we base we charges on, including the price of cut & wrap.
And now the third weight “Take home” or “Final” is what you actually receive when we deliver your beef share.
There is weight lost from the Hanging weight to Final weight during the 21 dry age hang, due to 2 reasons. There is about 4% water lost during the hanging process. Then about 35% is lost during the cutting process. This amount is variable based on two factors – the amount of fat in the beef and the other is the cuts the customer requests. Higher fat will mean more loss. Also, the more boneless cuts requested the lower the final weight.
Dry Hanging – Why? Hanging a beef for 21 days as we do helps improve tenderness. This is called aging and it allows the enzymes to break down the proteins and improve the eating quality. It also allows the development of flavours associated with the aging process.